Sunday, July 06, 2014

The perils of being prolific

I spent time last night and this morning finding new places to send a half-dozen stories that had been returned during the past two weeks. I currently have 19 stories in various slush piles, and two accepted and pending publication.

It's been observed more than once that someone who can write as prolifically as I do would've done well in the old pulp era so many years ago, but as it is today sometimes I really have to struggle to find potential venues for stories.

The number of people submitting to the few short story venue still exist, both in print and online, must be enormous. Some of the best venues don't do open submissions and at any given time any number of the better venues' submissions are closed.

The financial pressures on editors are such that few people can take time to cultivate and mentor writers like John Campbell or Gardner Dozois did.

Which is another reason why I suppose my forthcoming book "Letters from Gardner" may be interesting reading.

The dearth of short story markets being what it is, the logical thing to do would be to take a stab at an original novel. Thanks to this Dragon software, which I'm using right now, the prospect seems less daunting. I've always been dissuaded from writing at great length because of aggravating my carpal tunnel syndrome.

1 comment:

  1. One could argue that the logical thing to do would be to keep submitting but take the ones that don't find homes and publish them yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...